After consultation and a branding discovery exercise with the lovely Jackie Wilson at JWordskills I started work on the logo design development.
They key aspects that came out of the branding discovery were that Jackie wanted a design which included plenty of information about the company services and service value. She also wanted something that had a graphic element in it that was fun and had a personal touch – wanting to show professionalism in the logo but without it looking corporate or commercial in anyway.
Jackie’s proofreading, editing and translation business is a personal service which offers clients in the UK, France and Germany a way to optimize their company literature. She is also skilled at academic writing and aspects of journalism.
Out of 5 initial concepts each one quite different these versions were the clients favorite and the next step was to refine.
Jackie loved the inky typeface and wanted to use that throughout. She also really liked the idea of the puzzle piece given its relation to the company message ‘making language fit’. A key comment was that the J&W needed to stand out more.
Finding a way to achieve all three did not prove easy and rather than hone down the ideas I ended up with lots more – which wasn’t ideal. I was able to post on linkedin‘s typography network group for some feedback from other senior designers and specialist typographers. This is a great way for freelancers like myself to bounce ideas around with other professionals – an important part of the design process.
The feedback on linked in was good and confirmed my thoughts that there was too much going on trying to add in both the puzzle element and the inky typography. I decided to focus on ways of making the JW stand out and worked up a rough sketch. The idea was to use the same style the pen had been drawn in to create the letters. Adding consistency and bringing balance to the layout of the logo overall.
Then in order to get the puzzle piece in – to actually use this in the complimenting graphics on the website. This actually made much more sense as the puzzle is related to the strapline and not the company name directly, so a supporting graphic for a supporting message.
The client decided the supporting puzzle piece was something she’d like to consider on the website. However the logo from further feedback reverted back to something a bit more simple which could be used with or without the supporting straplines. Crucial to logo design is an age old approach- when you can’t take anything more away it’s done, so it was great that Jackie wanted to pare it down and simplify.
In addition I’ve worked up some supporting graphics for the website so that the overall brand style for JWordskills has consistency, which is all important to making sure everything associated with the company and service becomes linked and recognisable over time.